Pages

05 March 2011

Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth?

The 2011 edition of the Annuario Pontificio was presented to Pope Benedict XVI on 19 Feb. It recently became available for sale and I received a copy late yesterday (Friday).

One of the changes it lists, with a date of 22 Oct 2009, is the uniting of the Archdiocese of Halifax with the Diocese of Yarmouth to form the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth, Canada.

The difficulty is that there has never been an announcement of such a unification. There is no reference to it on the official website for either jurisdiction, on the CCCB website, nor on the Vatican website.

Given the uncertainty about this change, I have decided not to show it on my website until further confirmation or clarification is available.

I have contacted a number of different sources and I hope to be able to provide an update in the next week or so. If you can assist in clearing up the matter, please leave me feedback through the form on the main website.

[AP 2011 references to the unification are on pages 287 (Halifax-Yarmouth), 806 (Yarmouth), and 1151 (changes).]

Blog Archive